ImageCare Radiology prioritizes patient comfort along with providing accurate diagnostic imaging. We proudly offer open MRI in Iselin, NJ, to accommodate those with claustrophobia or other specific needs requiring an open MRI setting. We always strive to set you at ease during your visit to ensure you feel as comfortable as possible.
What is an Open MRI?
An open MRI is a less confining and more spacious type of magnetic resonance imaging machine, or MRI. An MRI uses powerful magnets and radio waves to create detailed images of the body’s internal structures. In a traditional closed MRI machine, you must lie on a narrow table that slides into a long, tunnel-like cylinder. An open MRI accomplishes the same task without needing a confined space. The MRI preparation process is essentially the same as a traditional MRI.
The Benefits of an Open MRI Machine
There are various reasons to choose an open MRI. It all comes down to your individual needs and comfort. The primary reasons to opt for an open MRI are because it:
- Reduces Claustrophobia:The open design of the MRI machine helps reduce feelings of claustrophobia and anxiety in patients who may find traditional closed MRI machines uncomfortable.
- Takes Into Account Different Body Types:Open MRI machines better accommodate patients of various sizes, including those who are obese or have mobility issues.
- Assists Pediatric and Elderly Patients:Open MRI machines are often preferred for pediatric and elderly patients who may have difficulty remaining still during the procedure.
- Helps With Certain Medical Conditions:For patients with certain medical conditions or limitations, such as severe arthritis or musculoskeletal issues, an open MRI may be a more suitable option.
- Offers Enhanced Accessibility:In some instances, medical personnel may need to be present during the MRI scan to closely monitor a patient’s condition. The MRI machine’s open design allows easier access to the patient during the procedure.
It is important to note that open MRI machines typically have lower magnetic field strengths, which can lead to slightly lower image resolution and lessen the ability to visualize specific fine details. Talk to your healthcare provider about the right imaging technology to ensure comfort along with an accurate diagnosis. Contact ImageCare Radiology to request an appointment when you require an open MRI.