April is Defeat Diabetes Month
Image Care Radiology is an imaging center in New Jersey that provides services to a wide range of patients. We make an effort to accommodate our services to meet the needs of all of our patients, including those with diabetes. April is Defeat Diabetes Month, and we stand with our patients who are affected by this disease.
Preventing Type 2 Diabetes
Defeat Diabetes Month focuses on Type 2 diabetes and its preventable nature. There are measures that we all can take to reduce our risk of contracting this disease. These measures include:
1. Getting screened regularly: Seeing your doctor on a regular basis for health screening services such as blood work and urine analysis can help detect prediabetes and address the condition before it becomes Type 2 diabetes.
2. Eating mindfully: A balanced diet is one of the most proven ways to minimize your risk of Type 2 diabetes. Limit carbohydrate-dense foods, sugary drinks, and processed meats and focus on whole grains and healthy fats.
3. Being active: Exercise has been shown to lower blood glucose and strengthen insulin sensitivity. Additionally, exercise can help to maintain a healthy body weight. Obesity is a primary risk factor for this disease.
Risk Factors for Type 2 Diabetes
Some individuals are more at risk for Type 2 diabetes than others. You may be at risk for this disease if:
• You have prediabetes
• You are overweight
• You are 45 years or older
• You have a parent or sibling with Type 2 diabetes
• You are physically active less than 3 times a week
• You have had gestational diabetes
• You have given birth to a baby who weighed over 9 pounds
• You are African American, Hispanic, Latino, American Indian, or Alaskan Native
Our imaging center in New Jersey is dedicated to providing care for patients of all types, including those impacted by diabetes. We stand with all of our patients during Defeat Diabetes Month and encourage you to take steps to assess your risk for this disease and incorporate prevention measures into your daily lives!