July 22 is World Brain Day, and a great day to learn ways that we can all take better care of our brains!
At ImageCare Radiology, we provide services for neuro MRI in New Jersey to evaluate brain health and help physicians diagnose conditions. But there are steps you can take to care for your brain and prevent cognitive decline. These include:
1. Exercising regularly: Research shows that people who regularly exercise are less likely to experience a decline in their mental function and are also less likely to develop Alzheimer’s disease. These benefits are the result of increased blood flow to the brain during exercise. You should aim for 30 to 60 minutes of cardiovascular exercise several times a week.
2. Getting adequate sleep: High-quality sleep is crucial for brain health. For best results, you should aim for seven to eight consecutive hours of sleep each night. This gives your brain time to effectively consolidate and store memories. If you have sleep apnea or suspect that you do, you should seek treatment from a medical professional because this condition can severely impact your brain’s health and your quality of sleep.
3. Eating a healthy diet: A balanced diet that is low in fat and high in fruits and vegetables reduces the risk of cognitive decline. Studies show that following a Mediterranean diet that emphasizes plant-based foods, whole grains, fish, and healthy fats is best for brain health.
4. Staying mentally active: Just like your muscles, your brain should be worked out regularly to keep it in shape. Doing puzzles, playing cards, playing word and number games, and other activities can help you keep your brain active.
5. Stay socially active: A robust social life helps to ward off stress and depression, conditions that can contribute to memory loss. Research has shown that there are links between a solitary lifestyle and brain atrophy, so spending time with friends and loved ones should be prioritized.
6. Caring for your cardiovascular health: The health of your arteries and veins isn’t just critical for your heart, but for your brain as well! If you have high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes, or atrial fibrillation, speak to your doctor about what you can do to improve your cardiovascular health.
Additional steps you can take to care for your brain and improve its health include wearing a helmet during high-impact activities, not smoking, and moderating – or even better, avoiding – consumption of alcohol and other drugs.
If you require a neuro MRI in New Jersey to assess the health of your brain, ImageCare Radiology is here to help! Contact us to schedule an appointment for a brain scan.